Friday, May 28, 2010

Throwback: My American Heart - "Hiding Inside The Horrible Weather" (2007)



Here's another new segment I'm gonna try to work in here more often. Back when, I used to try and get some words out on some not-so-recent songs or records that still deserve your attention. More recently there's been so much good music coming out (thank god...) that I've strayed away from that. But I'm bringing back those blurbs in a new segment I like to call "Throwback". Let's get to it...

When SoCal emo act My American Heart recorded their 2005 debut album The Meaning In The Make Up, they sounded like another bunch of sad, whiny kids bringing their sorrows to the young, blossoming "scene". As the emo-craze surprisingly caught on with mainstream listeners, My American Heart got left behind, even though their second record (and consequently, final one) Hiding Inside The Horrible boasted some seriously solid tunes.

Look no further than the title-track. They kick it off with dance-floor ready drums and warp-speed riffs that work into a churning wave of rhythm, before thundering into an incredibly heavy and tight chorus. Vocalist Jesse Barrera either got some lessons or took a heavy dose of Sudafed, 'cuz his nasally vocals sound strong and confident, reminiscent of a younger Nic Newsham (of Gatsby's American Dream fame). I'll admit there's nothing earth-shattering about MAH, but when Barrera sings "Don't you get it/I made an attempt/to piece it all together", you can take comfort in knowing that you're listening to a band who wouldn't settle until they pushed their own personal envelope.




Download: My American Heart - "Hiding Inside The Horrible Weather"

MySpace: My American Heart

No comments: