Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chase The White Whale



So I had Driver F described to me as a ska band.

Wrong.

I had their debut disc Chase The White Whale described to me as an 2008 album-of-the-year candidate

Right.

Many claim these Austin-based dudes to be a ska band simply because of their two-person horn section. However, the horns, much like the keyboards also featured in their cuts, are there to add depth to the track, laying low on each song floating in-and-out of the track like a slight April breeze. The band's vocals are extremely similar to Kenny Vasoli's of The Starting Line fame, not only in the way they sound, but in the way they drive (no pun intended each song). The Moby Dick reference in the album title does have relevance within the songs as lyrical themes such as obsession, weaknesses, and overcoming these traits are explored, sometimes through equally nautical references. Despite their young ages, this band takes pretty complicated parts, plays them tightly, and weaves them within each other seamlessly (think Rx Bandits).

So do these young kids a favor and give them a listen, they really do make great music...and killer videos.



BUY

"Two Words Mr. President: Plausible Deniability"



"Temple of Doom"



"I open my eyes and I have found, hope in words that can never let me down..."

No comments: