Monday, March 23, 2009

Who Are You Now?



I've always loved This Providence, but when I heard their The Bright Lights EP I was really disappointed. Aside from the song "Waste Myself" (which was fantastic), I thought the rest were shit, especially the renovated version of "My Beautiful Rescue". When initial reviews came out for their newest release, Who Are You Now? I didn't even care anymore. I still picked it up though, on a whim.

And guess what? I'm really glad I did. This is my biggest surprise record of 2009. The vibe of the album stays a similar course as their self-titled joint from 2006. "Sure As Hell", the opener, is to Who Are You Now? as "Tautuo" is to Deja Entendu (not that This Providence could touch Brand New), a great indicator of the mood of the album. "Letdown" and "Waste Myself" start out the album on a great 1-2 punch (or 2-3 as it were). Other standouts include "Keeping On Without You", "That Girl's a Trick" and "Somebody to Talk To".

It may be a personal preference, but I really love their sound and think they have some real talent. Go nag this and be surprised. Like me.


Sure As Hell (Album Version) - This Providence



Waste Myself (Album Version) - This Providence


That Girls A Trick (Album Version) - This Providence

-Dboy

No comments: