Sunday, March 8, 2009

Brand New Live at URI...









...but no pictures of them. The first two pictures are of The Dear Hunter (who were equally awesome), but right after snapping those gems a security guard told me: "If I see the camera again, you and the camera are out of here"...so no more picture for me.

The Dear Hunter's set was pretty rad, highlighted by Casey getting in a prolonged shit talking fest with "a couple 14 year old girls who won't stop making out because they probably had one beer" (not my words). Other jabs include "I don't know what else to say besides you are just so stupid" and "You are the reason bands hate playing live".

Then Brand New came on with this set list:
Bangkok
Jaws
Sic Transit
Archers
Millstone
Shower Scene
No Seatbelt
Trees
Luca
Tommy Gun
Sowing Season
Jesus
Degausser
You Won't Know
-----
Mix Tape
Play Crack

Brand New has been my favorite band for years and this was the first time I've ever seen them live. It was, in a word, assuring. It brought back all the reasons I love them. Thoughtful music, vocals, lyrics. Pushing the boundaries on everything they do. Jesse sang with beauty, but emotion. Delicately reaching up into a falsetto, but bringing out a wailing scream right behind it. The band, which brought out two drummers at times, was incredibly tight. Vin threw himself and his guitar around like a rag doll, fingers flopping on the strings for every chord, whining slide, and back beat punctuation. It was just amazing.

Afterwards caught a taxi back to the Kingston Train Station with an old New Englander who told me many funny stories, at one point kindly referred to some girl, who he picked up twice after she got her car towed from the same spot, a "stupid fucking bitch". Haha. Spent some time before I headed back to Boston at the station and snapped some pictures.

Overall, a memorable night.

No comments: