Wednesday, July 14, 2010

R.I.P: Envy on the Coast



I've followed Envy on the Coast since they were a baby-child band coming out of Strong Island. Their initial description as a combination of Incubus and Glassjaw had me hooked from the start and after my first listen to their self-titled EP, I was blown away. Ryan Hunter has some serious vocal chops and the band could transition between effects-pedal freakouts, hardcore breakdowns, and straight-up soaring pop-punk hooks within one song. While Lucy Gray and Lowcountry had it shortcoming, you could hear a band working/struggling towards reaching their untapped source of potential (the LOST golden light, anyone?). Sadly, after an announcement from Ryan yesterday, it looks like the band's differences will never let them fully realize that energy. Hopefully they will all continue to create music, and I'll continue to keep tabs on that, but Envy on the Coast is going to be another one of those groups that's going to get filed into an ever-growing "Coulda, Shoulda" category.

As a parting gift, like my boy CJ over at bedwetting cosmonaut, I put together a 9 song compilation of my favorite EOTC songs for your enjoyment. That's the beautiful thing about art...even after everyone is long gone, their creations will live on forever. Thanks for the jams guys and good luck in the future!


Download: Envy on the Coast - Greatest Hitz

MySpace: Envy on the Coast

No comments: