Thursday, September 3, 2009

You Can't Take It With You



Since, As Tall As Lions are one of my favorite bands, I was kind of surprised when it took me almost two weeks to give their new album, You Can't Take It With You, a solid listen. Maybe I knew it'd be a lot to digest. Maybe I was worried it'd be disappointing, considering their 2006 self-titled release is one of my all-time favorites. Either way, I finally caved, and am glad I did.

First off, As Tall As Lions are a true band in every sense of the word. On You Can't Take It With You, nearly every member of the band takes on lead vocals at some point, such as Julio Tavarez' longing wailing on the title track and "Duermete" and guitarist Saen Fitzgerald nasally whisper on "Sleepyhead". However, the tracks manned by Dan Nigro (such as "This Is Tomorrow") are the true gems, as his angelic vocals still manage to be some of the best around.

When I say, as well, that the band has added some new bells and whistles, I mean it quite literally. Harps, strings, glockenspiels, xylophones, all make appearances on the album to create a much fuller and lusher orchestration that their past work. Songs like the 8-minute epic "Duermete" show off the true beauty this group crafts, while "Circles" and "The Narrows" show off excellent use of hand claps and electronic drum beats.

For fans looking for some stuff in the vein of their last album, no fear..."In Case of Rapture", which boasts fantastic lyrics, ("I'd rather die on my feet then live down on my knees") and the time-signature shifting "Sixes & Sevens" are right up your alley. Right when you get comfortable, the band throws a curveball at you, like with the bluesy piano stomp of "We've Been Waitin'".

My personal favorite goes to album closer "Lost My Mind". Clocking in at over 6 minutes, Dan Nigro showcases his flawless voice accompanied only by bending chords. Descending into it's own madness, the tracks final minutes include swirling female vocals, jaunty piano, and sporadic drum beats. Just a really gripping tune.

All in all, some of my fears about You Can't Take It With You were confirmed. There is a lot to digest here, this isn't something you can listen to all the time, it isn't as fluid as some of their past work. But these fears were met with the soothing sensation that the band are continually pushing themselves and still putting out great music. Support these guys all the way because they are doing it right.

Damn, add another on to my Top 25 albums of the year...


Buy: As Tall As Lions- You Can't Take It With You

As Tall As Lions on MySpace





What we take hold of is up to us now. So try and hold your head up above ground..."

No comments: