Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Terrible Things - "Been Here Before"



Another drop off Terrible Things debut...fills the slot of the string-laden ballad, but with the level of songwriters involved it doesn't come off quite as cheesy. I'd break it down for ya'll, but I think Fred Mascherino could put his finger on the meaning way better than I could...


"Sometimes you write a song because you're so unhappy and you just need to get it out of you. This was one of those songs for me. It describes the unchangeable past that we all deal with in our own ways. I think that helplessness comes across pretty well. It's something I've tried to paint a thousand times but it wasn't until the producer, Jason Elgin, suggested that we slow the music down from its original upbeat version that we really got that feeling. I'm always trying to make that moment happen where the listener is pulled in and it becomes their story too. It's about the lyrics but also the music has to build up and complete the picture. With the strings, piano, electric and acoustic guitars, we still had to leave room for the vocals to come out and tell the story. I'd say this it wound up being my favorite lyrics on the album."


Terrible Things
is out August 31.

Listen: Terrible Things - "Been Here Before"

MySpace: Terrible Things

No comments: