Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm Like A Virgin Losing a Child



In anticipation of their new record Mean Everything to Nothing that comes out this spring, I popped on Manchester Orchestra's debut, one of my favorite 2006 releases, while I headed over to Cambridge to do some journalism shit. This album has always been a favorite of mine, but I haven't listened to it all the way through in awhile. It is truly amazing. Haunting, emotional, textured. The echoing chords and chiming keys along with Andy Hull's unique coo comes together to form one cohesive piece of art. Lyrically, I think Andy Hull is as good as it gets. Fans of more recent Brand New will fall in love with MO. There remains a lot of diversity throughout the tracks, fronted with jaunty and up-tempo numbers("Wolves at Night", "Now That You're Home"). However, when they slow things down, MO gets as intimate as anyone you'll ever hear. Need any convincing? Go download "Sleeper 1972" and tell me you don't get chills. Please, please go get this and be sure to pick up their new disc in a couple months.

Check out: "Wolves At Night", "Sleeper 1972", "I Can Barely Breathe".

Wolves At Night on Letterman.


Sleeper 1972



"If seeing is believing, then believe that we have lost our eyes."

No comments: